♥TAG♥


Saturday, June 27, 2009

Another Story by Geoff Tan

It's another story by Geoff Tan on 15 June 2009.

Title: There is beauty in a cracked pot

Sometime ago, in this column, I wrote about an unassuminng man who plonked himself down beside me while I was sitting on the floor of an in-line skate shop trying on a pair of Rollerblades. and stated to share with me his story.

Born a dyslexic, he honed his skill as a skater and became a champion in the sport. Till today, he still finds great difficulty reading and writing. But what he lacked in one area, he madeup for it with an acute eye for business. And all this was triggered off by the dedicated effort he put into excelling in his strengths, and looking beyong his weaknesses.

Law Kum Seng has not only been blessed witha succesful skate school business but he is also a motivational speaker, runs adventure camps for corporations, and helps people learn more about caring for our environment through his reforestation projects.

This remind me of the stroy about a water bearer in India who had two large pots hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his back. On of the pots had a crack in it and, by the time the water bearer reached his master's house, it would have leaked half of the contents.

For 2 years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only 1.5 pots of water. One day, the cracked pot said to the water bearer: "I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologise to you."

"Why?" asked the bearer. "What are ashamed of?"

The pot replied:" I have been able to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to lak out."

The water bearer, feeling sorry for th pot, said:" As we return to the master's house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path."

The pot did this and was cheered up a little by the sight. The bearer said to the pot: "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path? That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I took advantage of it. I planted flower seeds on your side, and everyday while we walked backed from the strea,, you have been able to pick the beautiful flowers to decorate my master's table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this beauty to grace the house."

This story illustrates that each of us has our own unique flaws. We are all cracked pots to a certain degree. But if we can look away from this and focus on the positice aspects of our situation, it will not only lift out self esteem but also inspire the people around us.

To me, my take away is 将心比心. Dun try to change ppl to suit you. To leverage on others strength to aid you.

No comments: